Check to see if you need permits from NVCA before you build - NVCA

We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority Logo. Healthy Watershed, Healthy Communities.

Skip Navigation LinksNVCA > Check to see if you need permits from NVCA before you build



Check to see if you nee​​d permits from NVCA before you build

UTOPIA, Ontario (March 25, 2021) – Spring is in the air, and many residents in the Nottawasaga Valley Watershed (NVCA) are looking to make improvements to their homes and properties. Some properties are in areas at risk from flooding and erosion, so it's best to check with NVCA if you're in a regulated area. Projects that may require an NVCA permit can include building or rebuilding a house, deck, garage, shed, dock, shorewall, or addition to your home. Depending on the extent and location, permits may also be required for grading, fill or topsoil importation and placement.

NVCA is tasked by the Province of Ontario to regulate activities in natural and hazardous areas in order to avoid the loss of life and damage to property from flooding and erosion. This is especially important in the face of climate change.

“Many property owners often tell us that their property has never flooded in the many years that they've lived there, but that is changing," advises Chris Hibberd, Director of Watershed Management Services. “Even today we are experiencing more intense rainstorms and other extreme weather events associated with climate change."

To check if you're in a NVCA regulated area, search for your property address in the Interactive Data Viewer. If you're still not sure, NVCA provides free consultations online or over the phone so residents can easily correspond with Regulations Technicians to confirm if their property is regulated, discuss projects and permit requirements.

“Although our Regulations Technicians are mainly working from home, we have very good turnaround times," continued Hibberd. “In 2020, we met the customer service timelines set by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry by 98.2%."

If your property is in one of the following municipalities, check to see if you're in an NVCA regulated area: Adjala-Tosorontio, Amaranth, Barrie, Blue Mountains, Bradford West Gwillimbury, Clearview, Collingwood, Essa, Grey Highlands, Innisfil, Melancthon, Mono, Mulmur, Oro-Medonte, Shelburne, Springwater, New Tecumseth and Wasaga Beach.

Visit NVCA's website or email for more information about NVCA permits, application process, timelines and more.

- 30 -

About NVCA: The Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority is a public agency dedicated to the preservation of a healthy environment through specialized programs to protect, conserve and enhance our water, wetlands, forests and lands.

Media contact: Maria Leung, Communications Coordinator 705-424-1479 ext. 254,