Sign In


Skip Navigation LinksNVCA > NVCA Media Release NVCA reminds shoreline residents to apply for permits before repairing damages

​​​M​​edia Release


NVCA reminds shoreline residents to apply for permits before repairing damages

Applying for a permit helps residents save money, follow laws and regulations, and prevents future headaches

UTOPIA, Ontario (February 20, 2020) – Many residents who live along Georgian Bay shorelines have experienced erosion from the record high water levels, and would like to repair the shorelines sooner rather than later. The Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority (NVCA) understands this urgency, but would like to remind residents that it is necessary to apply for a permit before doing any shoreline work.

“Our primary role at the NVCA is to ensure the safety of people's lives and properties along watercourses and shorelines," said Chris Hibberd, Director of Watershed Management Services. “The permitting process is intended to help property owners spend their money wisely. Once the permit application is received, our regulations staff and engineers determine if the project is appropriately designed so the shoreline repair work doesn't fail, impact neighbouring shorelines or the environment. Most of all we want to prevent further repairs and investments."

Residents are also encouraged to contact the NVCA for a free pre-consultation meeting before planning the shoreline repair work. Regulations staff will explain the permitting process and list the documents needed for a smooth application.

“We process permit applications in the order they are received," continued Hibberd. “But when we meet with residents in person, we can help determine if their situation is an emergency so they can be put on priority."

NVCA's regulations technicians have set aside time on Tuesdays and Thursdays for walk-in pre-consultations with residents, but scheduling an appointment is the best way to guarantee an appointment. Residents are asked to bring a few photos of the shoreline erosion to the pre-consultation, along with the address of their property.

To schedule a pre-consultation meeting, please contact Morgen Wilson, NVCA's Development Review Coordinator at 705-424-1479 x 222 or

Permits may also be required through your local municipality, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNRF), and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). 

Residents bordering Wasaga Beach Provincial Park ​(including beach) must apply for an Ontario Parks work permit through the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) before commencing shoreline works along provincial park beaches. 

Be sure to consult with these organizations before you start any shoreline repair work. Below is the contact information the MNRF, MECP and DFO:

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF)

Midhurst District (Zones 10, 11, 14, 15, 16)

Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP)

Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP)
Ontario Parks, Southwest Zone Office: 519-873-4001 

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)

Fish and Fish Habitat Protection Program
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
867 Lakeshore Rd
Burlington ON L7S 1A1

Telephone: 1-855-852-8320

- 30 -

About NVCA: The Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority is a public agency dedicated to the preservation of a healthy environment through specialized programs to protect, conserve and enhance our water, wetlands, forests and lands.

Media contact: Maria Leung, Communications Coordinator 705-424-1479 ext.254,