Permit timelines - NVCA

We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority Logo. Healthy Watershed, Healthy Communities.

Skip Navigation LinksNVCA > Permit timelines
​NVCA staff are pleased to meet with you to discuss any work you have planned. To discuss your proposal, please start by completing our online property inquiryform. You can also email​​with your specific questions.

NVCA also offers walk in service for residents to speak to our regulations staff about your property. We recommend coming in on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as our regulations staff has blocked off time to answer all your questions about the NVCA permit process.

During your meeting, staff will review our mapping to see if your property is regulated by NVCA, and whether or not a permit is required from the authority. NVCA encourages pre-consultation prior to making any permit applications.

​​​​Permit Timelines

NVCA is committed to provide customer service that is timely, welcoming and helpful. Our service timelines are governed by the Conservation Authority Liaison Committee (CALC), which requires NVCA to complete a policy review within 21 business days, and complete a technical review within 30 business days for minor applications and 90 business days for major applications.

If your application is not complete, NVCA will inform you which information is missing. After the incomplete information has been submitted, NVCA's Regulations Staff will strive to review your information within another 21 days.​​

​​​​​​Click here for the most recent ​Report on NVCA permit review timelines​

Your projects must comply with your local municipal bylaws and Official Plan. For more information, please contact your local municipality.

If your property is located in the Niagara Escarpment jurisdiction, you must obtain proper approvals  from the Niagara Escarpment Commission (NEC) prior to applying for a permit from the NVCA. Visit the NEC website for more information.

For residents applying for permits along the Georgian Bay shoreline, you may also need permits from, the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNRF), and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). Residents bordering Wasaga Beach Provincial Park (including beach) must apply for an Ontario Parks work permit through the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) before commencing shoreline works along provincial park beaches.

Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry (MNRF)
Midhurst District (Zones 10, 11, 14, 15, 16)

  • Midhurst MNRF Office: 705-725-7500
  • Owen Sound MNRF Office: 519-376-3860​​

Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP)
Ontario Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP)
Ontario Parks, Southwest Zone Office: 519-873-4001

​Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO)
Fish and Fish Habitat Protection Program
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
867 Lakeshore Rd
Burlington ON L7S 1A1
Telephone: 1-855-852-8320