Do I need a permit? - NVCA

We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority Logo. Healthy Watershed, Healthy Communities.

Skip Navigation LinksNVCA > Planning & Permits > Do I Need A Permit?
Updated business hours for NVCA's Administration Office: ​ ​
Monday - Friday from 8:30 am - 4:30 pm, close​d daily from 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm


​NVCA staff are pleased to meet with you to discuss any work you have planned. To discuss your proposal, please start by completing our
online property inquiry form. You can also email​​with your specific questions. ​

NVCA also offers walk in service for residents to speak to our regulations staff about your property. We recommend coming in on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as our regulations staff has blocked off time to answer all your questions about the NVCA permit process.

During your meeting, staff will review our mapping to see if your property is regulated by NVCA, and whether or not a permit is required from the authority. NVCA encourages pre-consultation prior to making any permit applications.


Do I need a Permit?
​It depends on two things

  1. ​If the work you are planning to d​o is in an NVCA regulated area
    • Check to see if you are in a regulated are​a by using NVCA's Interactive Property Map too​l​. If any part of your property is regulated, submit an online property inquiry form to tell us a bit about your plans. We will review your property and your proposed plan, and may also ask you to submit additional information. We may also request an appointment with you to discuss your plans, by phone or in-person.​
  2. ​​ The type of project you're doing

    Examples of projects that require an NVCA permit:

    • Construction of a dwelling or addition
    • Reconstruction of a dwelling
    • Construction of any other structure such as a shorewall, inground pool or driveway
    • Placing or constructing a detached accessory structure such as a barn, shed or pool house
    • Changes to a building or structure that alters the use, increased the size or increases the occupancy such as: enclosing a carport to create a garage or adding an "in-law" suite
    • Site grading
    • Temporary or permanent removal or importation of materials such as: fill, gravel, soils, even if the material originated on site

    Examples of projects that don't require an NVCA permit:

    • ​​Fences and ground level decks outside natural hazards
    • Above ground level swimming pools and hot tubs
    • Landscaping activities such as planting trees or garden beds
    • Minor limbing of trees, cutting scrub or damaged vegetation​
    • Agricultural practices such as cropping and tilling of existing agricultural lands​​

​ Per​mit & Regulation Information

Planning Act Information

​Click Here

​Click Here

You may need a permit for activities such as building, construction, changing the existing grade, adding or removing material if the project is in or near:
  • rivers and streams
  • wetlands
  • slopes
  • lakes and ponds
  • the Georgian Bay shore
If your project is in an area of interest to the NVCA, you may need approval for your project under the Planning Act for:
  • a severance
  • creation of a building lot
  • a minor variance
  • a zoning change
  • a condominium application
  • site plan approval
  • a plan of subdivision
  • other Planning Act matters
​ ​