Sign In


NVCA > Planning & Permits

​Planning & Permits

Crane and Work in Stream.jpgThe NVCA has the responsibility to regulate activities in natural and hazardous areas in order to:

  • prevent the loss of life and property due to flooding and erosion, and
  • conserve and enhance natural resources.

This is done through the application of regulations affecting areas in and near rivers streams, floodplains, wetlands, slopes and the Georgian Bay shoreline.

The NVCA also works with municipalities to review development applications under the Ontario Planning Act to ensure they meet local and provincial environmental standards.

If you are planning a project you may need a NVCA permit, approval under the Planning Act or both. 

Here are some documents to help you navigate through the permitting and planning process:

Here is some information on NVCA's policies and procedures regardig the permitting and planning process

​Special note regarding the Department of Fisheries and Oceans: Some projects may also require the approval of DFO under the Fisheries Act and the Species at Risk Act. To learn more, visit the DFO website.

If you are unsure what you need, contact the NVCA at (705) 424-1479 for details.

Permit & Regulation Information

Planning Act


​Click Here

​Click Here

You may need a permit for activities such as building, construction, changing the existing grade, adding or removing material if the project is in or near:
  • rivers and streams
  • wetlands
  • slopes
  • lakes and ponds
  • the Georgian Bay shore
If your project is in an area of interest to the NVCA, you may need approval for your project under the Planning Act for:
  • a severance
  • creation of a building lot
  • a minor variance
  • a zoning change
  • a condominium application
  • site plan approval
  • a plan of subdivision
  • other Planning Act matters