Hunting Permits - NVCA

We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In

Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority Logo. Healthy Watershed, Healthy Communities.

Skip Navigation LinksNVCA > Recreation > Hunting Permits

​​​​​We have switched to HotSpot as our parking payment system. 

Here is more information about how to switch over from Mackay Pay. Thank you for switching payment apps and your continued support.

Learn more about how parking fees are used.

Hunting Permits


NVCA hunting passes are sold out for 2023

NVCA issues huntin​g permits for NVCA-own​ed portions of the Minesing and Osprey wetlands.​

Applicants must have a valid Outdoors Card and Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) membership. Permits are $71 + HST​ for individuals living or owning property within the NVCA watershed, and $122 + HST​ for all others. Click here for a map of the NVCA w​atershed.

You can submit your hunting permit form, found below, either online or via mail or visiting NVCA's office.  Please note you will require both an Ontario Outdoors Card and an OFAH membership to apply for a hunting pass..

Hunting Perm​it

Note - Please right click and save the hunting​ permit form onto your computer, fill out it, save it then email i​t to Filling out the form in your browser will not work.​

Please allow up to 2 weeks to process your application and to receive your permit by mail. If you require a permit immediately, please apply in person at our office at the Tiffin Centre for Conservation.

Only 100 hunting permits are issued each year. Permits are available for sale after January 1st of the same calendar year.

Hunters that access the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority’s (NVCA) properties are required to follow federal, provincial and municipal regulations.  Code of ethics are unwritten rules hunters should abide by to ensure hunters continue to be welcome on NVCA properties.

NVCA Hunter's Code of Ethics

New for hunting pass holders

Over the past several years, NVCA staff have been removing permanent hunt stands that have been illegally constructed. Starting in 2022, NVCA hunters will be required to register their temporary hunt stands with NVCA.

Hunters will receive one temporary hunt stand registration with their annual hunting permit. Pass holders may purchase up to one additional stand permit (maximum 2 stands per hunter) for $20.

All temporary hunting stands must be removed by January 15th of the following year.

Permanent hunt stands are not permitted and will be removed without notification.

All temporary hunt stands must be clearly labeled, any hunt stand that is not clearly labeled will be removed without notification.

Temporary Hunt Stand Registration

In 2021, digital files outlining the boundary where hunting is permitted on NVCA property were made available for valid hunting pass holders. NVCA properties within Minesing and Osprey Wetlands where the NVCA annual hunting pass is valid are identified on these maps.

Files can be uploaded to GPS and phones devices. 

Please be advised, this is not a boundary survey, hunters should be aware of private property boundaries. 

To obtain these digital files, please email

New exclusive hunting opportunity

Starting in 2022, the western portion of Osprey Wetlands will be offered as an exclusive hunting opportunity and will no longer be included in the standard, annual hunting pass.

The two eastern portions of Osprey Wetlands will remain open for hunting with the standard hunting pass. ​

Click here for more information and to apply for a permit​

​Fees from hunting permits go towards wildlife habitat enhancement and enforcement during ac​tive hunting seasons.​​

Safety in the Wetlands

If you are hunting the Minesing Wetlands, be sure to read our Minesing Safety Tips before heading out so you are prepared! These tips are a good review for those hunting in the Osprey Wetlands too.

 FAQs - Hunting on NVCA Lands

Do I need a permit to hunt on NVCA land?

Yes, you must purchase an annual hunting pass. Call the NVCA at 705-424-1479 or see above for more information. ​

Why do I need an OFAH membership to get a hunting pass?

​We require an Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) membership for insurance purposes.

As a member of OFAH you are entitled to utilize public liability insurance policy​ if required

Where am I allowed to hunt on NVCA lands?

You are allowed to hunt in the Minesing Wetlands and the Osprey Wetlands. Contact the NVCA office for copies of the hunting maps for both areas.​

Are there any specific rules for hunting on NVCA lands?


  • You need to follow all the MNRF Regulations, and general good hunting practices.
  • Temporary hunt stands are allowed with appropriate permits (see below). Permanent hunt stands and camps are not permitted. ​
  • You may not use ATVs or other motorized land vehicles.
  • Wear bright orange when appropriate.

All hunting activities should be conducted as per the Conservation Authorities Act, R.R.O. 1990, Regulations 127, Conservation Areas, Nottawasaga Valley; Ontario Hunting Regulations; and other appropriate Regulations. Violations of Regulations, including any future hunting convictions, may result in permission to hunt on NVCA lands being withdrawn. ​

Can I hunt on NVCA lands on Sunday?

At this time, hunting with a firearm is NOT permitted on Sundays in either the Minesing or Osprey wetlands. 

What am I permitted to hunt with on NVCA lands?

Shot guns (for deer and turkey) and bow-hunting are allowed. Rifles are not permitted. All MNRF hunting rules and regulations also apply.​

Where can I find out about what is in season and other hunting rules and regulations?

Hunting is regulated by the Ontario Government.  You can find hunting rules, regulations and other information at

Can I camp overnight when I am hunting?

No overnight camping is permitted on NVCA lands.  Make sure you give yourself enough time to get back out before the end of day.​

Can I put up a tree stand?

All temporary hunt stands must be registered with NVCA and visibly labelled. A maximum of two temporary hunt stand passes will be provided with each Annual Hunting Pass.

Any temporary hunt stand that is not registered/labelled will be removed without notification.

Permanent stands are not permitted and will be removed without notification.

Can I use a motorized boat and/or ATV?

You can use a motorized boat/canoe on NVCA lands. Small horsepower engines are strongly recommended as shallow rivers and log jams pose a risk to larger motors.

There is absolutely no access for wheeled vehicles like ATVs, dirt bikes, etc.​

Where can I walk in to hunt? Do I need a canoe in Minesing/Osprey?

Minesing Wetlands has six walk-in access points. Note that the access to Willow Creek at George Johnston Rd. requires a boat. 

All access points in the Osprey Wetlands are walk-in.

Please consult the map provided with your hunting pass or contact the NVCA office with any questions.​

Are there any safety concerns when hunting in the wetlands?

Even though they aren't far from urban centres, Minesing and Osprey wetlands are isolated wilderness settings. Hunters need to be prepared for changing and challenging wind, weather and water conditions. This is especially true in the spring, when high water levels make navigation difficult and when a fall into cold, fast-flowing waters can quickly lead to hypothermia.

See our hiking and paddling safety page for more information. 

The choice to head out into the Minesing or Osprey Wetlands is your choice. Make sure you are prepared for the natural hazards you may face.​