The Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority

Hunting Permits

Hunting passes are sold out for 2024.

NVCA issues hunting permits for NVCA-owned portions of the Minesing and Osprey wetlands. Hunters that access the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority’s (NVCA) properties are required to follow federal, provincial and municipal regulations. Code of ethics are unwritten rules hunters should abide by to ensure hunters continue to be welcome on NVCA properties.

Digital files outlining the boundary where hunting is permitted on NVCA property will be made available to valid hunting pass holders. NVCA properties within Minesing and Osprey Wetlands where the NVCA annual hunting pass is valid are identified on these maps.

Files can be uploaded to GPS and phone devices. Please be advised, this is not a boundary survey, hunters should be aware of private property boundaries. 

To obtain these digital files, please email

The proceeds from the sale of NVCA’s Hunting Permits goes directly to the Conservation Lands programs and maintenance of NVCA’s conservation areas

To apply for a permit, complete the Hunting Permit Application Form below or visit NVCA’s Administration Office. Please note applicants must have a valid Outdoors Card and Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) membership. 

New for hunting pass holders

Over the past several years, NVCA staff have been removing permanent hunt stands that have been illegally constructed. Starting in 2022, NVCA hunters will be required to register their temporary hunt stands with NVCA.

Hunters will receive one temporary hunt stand registration with their annual hunting permit. Pass holders may purchase up to one additional stand permit (maximum 2 stands per hunter) for $20.

All temporary hunting stands must be removed by January 15th of the following year.

Permanent hunt stands are not permitted and will be removed without notification.

All temporary hunt stands must be clearly labeled, any hunt stand that is not clearly labeled will be removed without notification.

New exclusive hunting opportunity

Starting in 2022, the western portion of Osprey Wetlands will be offered as an exclusive hunting opportunity and will no longer be included in the standard, annual hunting pass.

The two eastern portions of Osprey Wetlands will remain open for hunting with the standard hunting pass. ​

Click here for more information and to apply for a permit​

​Fees from hunting permits go towards wildlife habitat enhancement and enforcement during ac​tive hunting seasons.​​

Safety in the Wetlands

If you are hunting the Minesing Wetlands, be sure to read our Minesing Safety Tips before heading out so you are prepared! These tips are a good review for those hunting in the Osprey Wetlands too.


  • NVCA watershed resident: $75.60 + HST
  • Non-watershed resident: $129.60 + HST
  • First Hunt Stand Permit: No fee
  • Second Hunt Stand Permit: $20 + HST

Find out if you a resident in the Nottawasaga Watershed

Only 100 hunting permits are issued each year. Permits are available for sale after January 1st of the same calendar year.

Hunters that access the Nottawasaga Valley Conservation Authority’s (NVCA) properties are required to follow federal, provincial and municipal regulations. Code of ethics are unwritten rules hunters should abide by to ensure hunters continue to be welcome on NVCA properties.

NVCA hunting permits are valid for the calendar year and are only valid in NVCA-owned portions of the Minesing Wetlands and Osprey Wetlands (as per the maps available from NVCA, please contact NVCA for a file suitable for Google Earth or GPS). Contact us to find out more.

Contact Us

8195 8th Line
Utopia ON L0M 1T0

Contact us if you require the form in a different format.

Frequently Asked Questions about Hunting

Do I need a permit to hunt on NVCA land?

Yes, you must purchase an annual hunting pass. Call the NVCA at 705-424-1479 or see above for more information.

Why do I need an OFAH membership to get a hunting pass?

We require an Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) membership for insurance purposes.

As a member of OFAH you are entitled to utilize public liability insurance policy​ if required

Where am I allowed to hunt on NVCA lands?

You are allowed to hunt in the Minesing Wetlands and the Osprey Wetlands. Contact the NVCA office for copies of the hunting maps for both areas.​

Are there any specific rules for hunting on NVCA lands?


  • You need to follow all the MNRF Regulations, and general good hunting practices.
  • Temporary hunt stands are allowed with appropriate permits (see below). Permanent hunt stands and camps are not permitted. ​
  • You may not use ATVs or other motorized land vehicles.
  • Wear bright orange when appropriate.

All hunting activities should be conducted as per the Conservation Authorities Act, R.R.O. 1990, Regulations 127, Conservation Areas, Nottawasaga Valley; Ontario Hunting Regulations; and other appropriate Regulations. Violations of Regulations, including any future hunting convictions, may result in permission to hunt on NVCA lands being withdrawn. ​

Can I hunt on NVCA lands on Sunday?

At this time, hunting with a firearm is NOT permitted on Sundays in either the Minesing or Osprey wetlands. 

What am I permitted to hunt with on NVCA lands?

Shot guns (for deer and turkey) and bow-hunting are allowed. Rifles are not permitted. All MNRF hunting rules and regulations also apply.​

Where can I find out about what is in season and other hunting rules and regulations?

Hunting is regulated by the Ontario Government.  You can find hunting rules, regulations and other information at

Can I camp overnight when I am hunting?

No overnight camping is permitted on NVCA lands.  Make sure you give yourself enough time to get back out before the end of day.​

Can I put up a tree stand?

All temporary hunt stands must be registered with NVCA and visibly labelled. A maximum of two temporary hunt stand passes will be provided with each Annual Hunting Pass.

Any temporary hunt stand that is not registered/labelled will be removed without notification.

Permanent stands are not permitted and will be removed without notification.

Can I use a motorized boat and/or ATV?

You can use a motorized boat/canoe on NVCA lands. Small horsepower engines are strongly recommended as shallow rivers and log jams pose a risk to larger motors.

There is absolutely no access for wheeled vehicles like ATVs, dirt bikes, etc.​

Where can I walk in to hunt? Do I need a canoe in Minesing/Osprey?

Minesing Wetlands has six walk-in access points. Note that the access to Willow Creek at George Johnston Rd. requires a boat. 

All access points in the Osprey Wetlands are walk-in.

Please consult the map provided with your hunting pass or contact the NVCA office with any questions.​

Are there any safety concerns when hunting in the wetlands?

Even though they aren’t far from urban centres, Minesing and Osprey wetlands are isolated wilderness settings. Hunters need to be prepared for changing and challenging wind, weather and water conditions. This is especially true in the spring, when high water levels make navigation difficult and when a fall into cold, fast-flowing waters can quickly lead to hypothermia.

See our hiking and paddling safety page for more information. 

The choice to head out into the Minesing or Osprey Wetlands is your choice. Make sure you are prepared for the natural hazards you may face.​

Scroll to Top