Planning & Permits - NVCA

We will no longer be supporting IE7 and below as a web browser effective June 1st 2020. Click here for more information.

Sign In


Skip Navigation LinksNVCA > Planning & Permits > About Planning & Permits

​Planning & Permits

Crane and Work in Stream.jpg

The NVCA has the responsibility to regulate activities in natural and hazardous areas in order to avoid the loss of life and damage to property due to flooding and erosion, and conserve and enhance natural resources.

Flooding and erosion are recurring problems in areas of the Nottawasaga Valley watershed

Imagine a significant flood event. Fast flowing and high water levels flood homes, erode stream banks and shorelines, and make roads impassable.

NVCA guards against the risk s posed by flooding, erosion and other natural hazards by regulating development in the watershed. We do this by administering a regulation made under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act known as the Development, Interference with Wetlands and Alterations to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation (Ont. Reg. 172/06).

Under this regulation, NVCA ensures that development proposals take into consideration natural features like floodplains, steep slopes, wetlands, rivers and lakes in order to:

  1. Prevent injuries and loss of life;
  2. Minimize property damage and restoration costs;
  3. Protect adjacent and downstream properties against harm caused by upstream development;
  4. Reduce the costs, both public and private, of emergency operations and evacuations;
  5. Minimize the hazards associated with development in floodplains and areas that are susceptible to erosion, which in future years may require expensive protective measures; and
  6. Protect the natural benefits offered by wetlands, watercourses and shorelines.

Here are some documents to help you navigate through the permitting and planning process:

Here is some information on NVCA's policies and procedures regardig the permitting and planning process

Special note regarding the Department of Fisheries and Oceans: Some projects may also require the approval of DFO under the Fisheries Act and the Species at Risk Act. To learn more, visit the DFO website.

If you are unsure what you need, contact the NVCA at (705) 424-1479 for details.

​ Permit & Regulation Information

Planning Act


​Click Here

​Click Here

You may need a permit for activities such as building, construction, changing the existing grade, adding or removing material if the project is in or near:
  • rivers and streams
  • wetlands
  • slopes
  • lakes and ponds
  • the Georgian Bay shore
If your project is in an area of interest to the NVCA, you may need approval for your project under the Planning Act for:
  • a severance
  • creation of a building lot
  • a minor variance
  • a zoning change
  • a condominium application
  • site plan approval
  • a plan of subdivision
  • other Planning Act matters